Is it time to rethink your SEO strategy and make some radical changes? Well, this is one answer you have to answer after considering several factors. The change, or the intended change, may work or may not work; however, it pays to reevaluate your SEO strategy to further your business interests.
How your site performs depends on a lot of things, most importantly on how Google perceives your website. In case your site has seen dwindling visitors or if it has been hit by penalties from Google indicate that all is not honky dory. Poor quality SEO or incorrect commercialization practices could be the reason!
You need to reverse the trend and get back to attracting heavy traffic. But, how do you do that? Well, pay attention to what the ‘gurus’ say!
Most advocate disavowing links that have lived past their ‘use by’ date. Trying to save links or persevering with questionable SEO practices will only hurt you. However, this comes with short term revenue loss, but eventually leads your business to its intended place – that is forward.
Why is it so necessary?
Google’s counter spam algorithms are not aimed at evaluating individual websites. They are in place to improve search results experience of users.
So how does Google engineer its algorithms?
- Google identifies a particular area it wants to address and prepares test cases. This is done by a set of motivating searches where the search results lack depth.
- They then come up with an algorithm that addresses this problem.
- Google then runs a series of tests and compares the result with the earlier algorithm.
- Search result performance is measured to see if things have improved.
- The conclusions are then discussed with the launch team, and only when approved do they roll out the new algorithm.
Final decision taken is purely data driven.
What does this tell us?
Well, it means that Google does not analyze individual sites. Instead it profiles sites preferred by users and those that are ignored by users. This clearly points out that as a web publisher you are primarily responsible if your site has to feature in the first few search results.
Therefore get your act straight with the right motivations and be in line with what Bing and Google are looking for.